Wednesday, January 28, 2009

When God Is Gone

There are times when the palpable presence of God in my life disappears. The void is heavy and the satisfaction of my soul is missing. It may be associated with some persistent sin in my life or related to a period of decreased seeking for him, but sometimes these episodes occur seemingly "out of the blue." There are atleast two good things that come out of these times from my perspective. (I am sure God has more). First, the absence of God contrasts greatly with the presence of him in my life, as a moonless night contrasts with the mid-day sun. I would not fully know the joy and satisfaction of being with him if I could not compare it with times when he is missing. Second, my faith usually arises from these periods strengthened and deepened. I believe God has his sovereign purpose for these times. He is omnipresent in nature and trancends time and space, and yet his person can withdraw and leave us momentarily "forsaken" (Psalm 22:1). John Owen has some insight into periods in life where God seemingly has disappeared.


From "The Glory of Christ: His Office and His Grace." by John Owen

I Sought Him, but I Found Him Not

"Sometimes it may be that he is withdrawn from us, so as that we cannot hear his voice, nor behold his countenance, nor obtain any sense of his love, though we seek him with diligence. In this state, all our thoughts and meditations concerning him will be barren and fruitless, bringing in no spiritual refreshment into our souls.....The Lord Christ is pleased sometimes to withdraw himself from the spiritual experience of believers, as to any refreshing sense of his love, or the fresh communications of consolatory graces."

"Our duty in this case, is to persevere in our inqiries after him, in prayer, meditation, mourning, reading and hearing of the Word, in all ordinances of divine worship, private and public, in diligent obedience, until we find him, or he return to us, as in former days."

No comments: