Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Right Paths

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalm 23:3b

I cannot on my own do any righteous act (Romans 3:10). I am totally depraved. My flesh constantly leans toward sin. But God will not leave me to my own devices. He wills my sanctification (Phillipians 1:6). He disciplines me because he loves me (Hebrews 13:6). There are two reasons for this:  first, he is my Father in heaven and wants good for me (Romans 8:28), but more importantly, as I am an ambassador for him, he wills my actions to be righteous so that he is glorified. So, it is guaranteed that I will be sanctified because of God's word and because of God's glory. I can rest in the fact that God will guide me in paths of righteousness. Yet if I purposefully stray, the hand of God is to be feared for he will not leave me there for long. His name is too glorious to allow that to happen.

No comments: