Monday, October 18, 2010

The Shadow of Death

 Even though I walk 
       through the valley of the shadow of death, 
       I will fear no evil, 
       for you are with me; 
       your rod and your staff, 
       they comfort me. Psalm 23:4


We all will walk through the valley of the shadow of death. The place where death hovers over us, looming large and dark, quietly over our shoulders. I have been there. Nothing makes one consider life's ultimate import more than facing it's loss. Death comes to everyone. Death is the consequence for our sin (Genesis 3:3). It wasn't always set up to be that way. God will make all things new for those who love him (Revelation 21:5). But even so we as believers will all walk through the valley of the shadow of death (unless Christ comes early in our lives).  God has allowed physical death for a time for his children, but not forever.  He promises to never leave or forsake us, so evil can do nothing (Hebrews 13:5). Neither evil from demonic forces, nor evil from sinful man, nor evil from flawed creation can touch us as we walk with our Lord unless he allows it . And he promises to only allow it if it is in our best interest (Romans 8:28). His rod is present to dispense wrath towards the forces which would destroy us. His staff is there to shepherd us through difficult times and to comfort us with a reassurance that he is present and strong. What a wonderful thing to know that God loves me and that I am his son! Let me never forget all his benefits (Psalm 103:2).

No comments: