Monday, September 17, 2012

Bread Alone

Man shall not live by bread alone but
    by every word that comes from the mouth of God.
Matthew 4:4

I was struck by this verse this morning as I prayed. A number of things popped out to me. First, what does it mean to "live"? Obviously, all men need food to exist in our current state. Without it we would starve. But is this verse speaking of another, fuller life? Jesus said, "I have come that you may have life and have it more abundantly" (John 10:10).  Paul said, "The righteous shall live by faith" (Romans 1:17).  And, Jesus again said, "I am the way, the truth and the life" (John 14:6). Matthew 4:4 cannot be speaking of every man as not every man exists on this earth through sustenance on the word of God. So, I would submit that Jesus is speaking of a life that is unique to a believer and that that life is sustained, nurtured and/or advanced through a regular diet on the word of God and continues into eternity. The second observation I had was that Jesus is the Word of God. He is also the Bread of Life (John 6:48, 51). Not only is the scripture to be a regular source of life giving grace to a disciple, but Jesus himself is the ultimate fulfillment of scripture and the ultimate source of our "life". The third observation is that a follower of Christ can exist on worldly food without a reliance on scripture and Jesus. This is a often a life of dryness, worry and fruitlessness...a place I have ventured unfortunately long and often. Today, I am concentrating on feasting on Jesus Christ and His Word. What else is it that I need? 

No comments: