Thursday, November 15, 2007

God's Wrath

God is a just God. He hates sin and will justly act to rid it from his presence. His wrath toward sin and evil are turned toward us, because we are by nature sinful. Look at the world. Read the headlines. Can anyone disagree that mankind is not right? I know in my heart how sinful I am. Even if it doesn't appear by my actions that I am broken, I know deep down what a wretched man I am. What makes it even worse is the fact that I cannot stop my sins completely even if I try. I am a wretch. Every sin I have committed and will commit incites the wrath of God. I have no hope.

Or do I?

When Christ hung on the cross God's wrath was poured out on him for all of my sins. Think about that. My sin from the past, present and future was attributed to Jesus, and he suffered the full wrath of God for what I have done, am doing and will do. This means that there is no wrath left. It has already been spent. God sees me as a righteous man because of what Jesus has done.

We are obedient to God's commands because we love him. Not to earn our way into heaven.

"Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now I am found; was blind but now I see."

No comments: