Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Band of Brothers

I have been blessed with a group of men that encourage me and hold me accountable. Together we fight the daily spiritual battle that rages around us through the power given by the Holy Spirit. There is a bond that has been formed over the years through trials and laughter that is priceless. This group holds me up and strengthens me. They help me to be faithful in my walk. They are a gift of God. I don't know God's exact purpose in having twelve disciples appointed in leadership of the early church, but I imagine they felt this bond. I think God has made us in a way that flourishes in fellowship and community. I cannot run the race alone. A good friend gave me the DVD of the mini series Band of Brothers, a story about a group of men fighting in world war two. They also developed a bond that still exists to this day, in those yet living, through suffering and helping each other over the duration of their war experience. We today fight a battle against the principalities and powers unseen that would, if able, destroy us. He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world. God has given us the means to wage the battle as a Band of Brothers. John Eldredge in his book Wild at Heart tells the story of Henry V at Agincourt. His army is weary and greatly out numbered by the French. As they prepare for battle, Henry bolsters the troups by saying (according to William Shakespeare in Henry V 1599):

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother....
And gentlemen in England, now a bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here;
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.