Saturday, December 27, 2008

I Am Righteous!

I am righteous! That is a profound statement. A statement that when taken out of context is really ridiculous (Rom 3:10)....especially if you know me. I just spent an hour in anger and sinful response to an occurance in my life, and I am struck with amazement at the thought of being considered righteous. I am so far from righteousness in my actions at times it sickens me. But there is good news for me and for you if you feel like I do (John 3:16). For Christ atoned for my sins on the cross 2000 years ago. First, Jesus came in the form of man and through active obedience to the law he fulfilled what you and I could never do...he lived a sinless life (Heb 4:15, 1Pe 2:22). He was and is righteous. Then he bore the sins of all who believe in him in his body on the cross (1 Pe 2:24). He paid the ransom for our sins (1 Tim 2:6; Rev 5:9). The entire cup of God's wrath against my sin was poured out on Christ. His wrath is spent for my past and my future sin. The sin I committed in anger today was upon Christ, and the sin I commit tomorrow was on Christ. So through his passive obedience unto death on the cross the penalty required for my sin was paid in full. I am redeemed. I am justified before God (Rom 5:1), Christ having served vicariously for me my sentence. But that's not all. Christ's righteousness for his obedient perfect life is then imputed or credited to me (2 Cor 5:21). Through this, I am reconciled in my relationship to God. He sees me as having the righeousness of Christ. All this through faith in God's person, his Word and the Lord Jesus Christ. Amazing grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome God.
Happy New Year