Monday, October 03, 2011

Rot

The depth of the sin within me is unmeasurable. I can turn from absorbed in thinking about the Holy Spirit to wanting to destroy my fellow man in a moment. The festering muck in my heart is hidden deep inside, hard to find when I hide it well. Sometimes so well that I am deceived into believing it is mopped up and clean. Only to ooze out or like a volcano explode forth from within as magma under pressure, hot with anger and passion. I then watch the smoldering remains of the destroyed infrastructure shattered under the weight of my sinfulness creak and totter, ready to collapse at any moment. The rot of who I am in the flesh festers like meat in the sun with maggots at work. The stench in the humidity suffocates me as I long to be different. Wishing for a breeze to blow the stink away. It never ends... the things I do. I don't want to do them. No. But although in Christ I do not have to give in to my sin, I so often do, returning to my vomit without explanation. Tears in the corners of my eyes as I consider that I have nothing to offer my king, so good, white against the blackness of my soul. Who am I Lord to even be considered by you? I want to quit, to be taken to be with you but cannot imagine ever being in your presence with the deep, deep depths of filth in my heart. O Lord have mercy on me a sinner. A terrible sinner. Amen

2 comments:

CLM said...

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. 4 In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. 6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” 7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. Hebrews 12: 3-10

Blessings this hour in Christ our Lord.

SWM said...

Good words Chris