Friday, October 26, 2007

God Didn't Want It This Way.

I just spent a few minutes with a friend telling he and his wife he might have a brain tumor. My heart aches for them, not knowing what this means for the future. I long to make it go away but don't have the ability. I know they are sad and frustrated and are wrestling with what life is all about and why this is happening. Where is God in all this?

God doesn't want it this way. When he created the world it was very good (Genesis 1:31). I don't believe there was disease or suffering as we see everywhere today. But, God, for reasons that escape me, wanted a personal relationship with each individual of mankind....A relationship fostered on his love for us but also on our love for him. For us to love God, we had to have the ability to not love God. Love is voluntary, a choice, a decision. God gave Adam and Eve a choice, and they decided to resist his plan. Sin entered the world with all it's associated problems: illness, evil, selfishness, disaster and death. God is all powerful and could have prevented this. He could intervene and end it now. He chooses not to so that all who will accept him may accept him. We each individually have the chance to believe and love him. And I believe his heart aches for those that are suffering. His heart aches for my friend. Someday God will make things very good again for those that trust in Jesus Christ as their Lord and savior. Until then, all creation groans waiting in eager expectation for that time (Romans 8:19-22).

No comments: