Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Word

Today a group of my friends met and studied a bit of the book of Hebrews. The key thought of our discussion that I came away with was that God's word is very important. I should be in it daily. I should "dig" in it consistently for the "gems" revealed to me by God's Holy Spirit. Some verses to ponder:

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:10-11

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12

God's word is alive, active and purposeful.

Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
Joshua 1:8

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.
John 14:21

We are called to read, consider, meditate on and obey God's word. We cannot accomplish this without reading it over and over, memorizing it and studying it.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
2 Timothy 3:16

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:11

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Psalm 119:105

God guides us, protects us and sanctifies us through his word.

No comments: