Thursday, December 06, 2007

Chariots

I want control over everything. If something in life is not going in the direction I want it to, I analyze the situation, come up with a plan and do my best to "fix it." I have trouble entrusting things I feel are really important to other people. So, it's easy to worry if there is a problem with my job or family or with finances. I need to to "fix" the situation. I look to my own power for a solution--my mental capacity, physical strength, earning ability, material possessions etc. I worry because I am not in reality powerful or in control . But is this the proper perspective? I am turning to my personal resources to solve the problem, but those resources originate from almighty God. While my resources are finite, his are infinite. He is the giver of my mind, of my strength, of my abilities-including my ability to earn financially, and he is the protector of my reputation. We are called to use the gifts God has given us and to fill the earth and subdue it. But, to think that we actually have achieved anything in this world on our own is laughable. Surrendering all to God is letting go of our will to control situational outcomes in deference to his will, realizing that he cares for us, is all powerful and omniscient. We worry if we trust in the "chariots" of this world rather than the one who controls all things.

Psa 20:7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.

No comments: