Friday, December 28, 2007

Fasting

Fasting, in my mind, is refraining from some activity for a time in order to draw closer to God. I rarely fast from anything, because I love to indulge myself in the things of this world. A sad statement. Jesus said his followers would fast after he rose to heaven. Why don't I do it? Because I want the things of this world more than I want to draw closer to God. The things I need to periodically fast from are food (to teach me to rely on God for my provision); bicycling (to teach me to put God before my interests on earth); the internet (to teach me to set my mind on things above); and anything else the Spirit of God brings to my attention. Is fasting a formula for spiritual growth or success? No, but it is a discipline which if done for the right reasons alway leaves me in closer communiion with the Lord.

No comments: