Friday, December 14, 2007

Disappointment

I am currently disappointed with a few things in life. This has just developed over the last couple of days and is a minor thing. But I have been thinking about this situation quite a bit. The observation I have noted is that disappointment comes because of one of two things: putting my hope in things other than God and/or an improper understanding of who God is and what he has promised. Sometimes I put my hope in people or in material things or even in myself (achievements and so forth). If I hope in these things, I am setting myself up for failure, because of sin and personal flaws, I cannot trust even myself. Also, there is nothing that can fill the "hole in my soul" other than God. When I hope in material things or worldly relationships, there is no possibility of fulfillment. God, on the other hand, is completely trustworthy, and he promises us good things in the future. We are not promised good things here on earth, though he may mercifully give them to us. If we hope for God to give us material blessing or good health or lack of suffering here on earth, we also set ourselves up for disappointment. God has not promised this. For me, I need to spend a lot of time with God so that my hope is "pointed in the right direction" and so I truly know what God promises and who he is.

No comments: