Monday, January 21, 2008

Anxiety.

I usually get anxious when I perceive I am at risk of losing something I treasure. I might have anxiety over an illness, because I treasure my health and "pain" free living. Or, I might become anxious over my financial situation, because I like my economic status and don't want to sell my house and other material things. So, I worry about my worldly treasure. I have noticed that when I am spending more time with God in prayer and reading his word, my worries seem to melt away. I think this is because I begin to treasure the Lord and what he promises me in the future, and I realize that my inheritance through faith in him can never be taken away. Jesus also promises to care for us here on earth when we follow him (Matthew 6:33).

Mat 6:19-21: Jesus said.... "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Lord may I "fix my eyes" on you and may I desire the things you have for me and not the things of this world. May you be my only treasure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One. Many ordinary treasures may be denied him, or if he is allowed to have them, the enjoyment of them will be so tempered that they will never be necessary to his happiness. Or if he must see them go, one after one, he will scarcely feel a sense of loss, for having the Source of all things he has in One all satisfaction, all pleasure, all delight. Whatever he may lose, he has actually lost nothing, for he now has it all in One, and he has it purely, legitimately and forever.

AW Tozer