Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Courage.

I would define courage as the character trait which allows a person to do what is "right" in spite of fear. To encourage someone is to help them to be courageous.

Hebrews 10:24-25:
"And lets us consider how we might spur one another on to love and good deeds. And let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and even more as we see the Day approaching."

The author of Hebrews reveals in these verses the importance of community in the Christian's life. He tells us to spur (encourage) one another on to love and good deeds (right actions), and he tells us to habitually meet together for this encouragement. It is a difficult thing to be courageous. God repeatedly tells Joshua (Joshua chapter 1) to "be strong and courageous" as he prepares to take the Israelites into the promised land. I need to meet with and listen to my God and my Christian brothers and sisters in order to remain strong. When I drift from this fellowship, my courage weakens.

No comments: