Friday, April 18, 2008

Things That Strengthen My Faith.

We all have faith in something. I choose to believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and the authenticity of the Bible text in revealing him to us. Others believe there is no God. Make no mistake about it, atheism is a belief system. But, I also know that at times all believers if they are honest struggle with doubt. I think the fact that it is a struggle is a manifestation that those in this situation are indeed believers. I also am convinced that faith by definition is NOT the abscence of doubt. In fact, John the Baptist, while in prison, sent his disciples to ask Jesus if he was indeed the "one who is to come." Jesus said John was the greatest man spiritually to walk the earth (obviously other than himself). So, when I struggle with doubt, what are some thoughts that refocus me on God and his truth?

1) God has not proven his existence because doing so would eliminate mans' free will in regards to loving him. (In other words, there is a reason for the lack of proof). --My belief.
2) Believing there is no God requires as much faith as believing there is a God.
2) Creation is unexplained if there is no God. (one must believe in the spontaneous generation of matter from nothing or matter that has eternally existed if there is no God. These positions are unbelievable to me).
3) Conscience points to right and wrong. If there is no God, there is no reason for an inate sense of guilt when wronging others. (In fact, evolutionary theory would suggest wronging others in many circumstances is beneficial to the one doing the wronging).
4) The Bible is approximately 1500 pages long, written over around 2000 years, by 40 different authors, in multiple locations BUT with one theme. (The Koran for example was written by one man).
5) Out of the 12 Apostles present after Jesus death and resurrection (not including Judas who was replaced by Matthias), eleven were martyred for their faith and one died in old age as a believer. (The Apostles died for Jesus even though there was no gain financially, materially or positionally to following him).
6) The tomb Jesus was laid in was and is empty. No reliable explanation exists as to how this happened. The tomb was guarded. Those who crucified Jesus wanted no questions arising regarding the truth of Jesus death. And the disciples would have risked persecution for no benefit in attempting to move Christ's body.
7) The heavens declare the glory of God (Romans 1, Psalm 19). Who can look at the stars on a clear night and deny the existance of the Almighty?
8) The inability to understand God and his working completely does not exclude me or excuse me from believing in him. If I point a gun into the night sky, eliminate friction and gravity where will the bullet end up? I believe in the universe without understanding it.
9) Seeing God is not necessary for belief and not seeing God is not an excuse for disbelief. The wind is invisible, yet I see it move the leaves and feel it on my face. In the same way, if we look we see God's Spirit moving around us in the lives of others.
10) The strongest assurance is the realization of what God has done in me...making me a new creation. I am not the same as I was before. Some can tell. Others may not be able to But, I am a different man.

No comments: