Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Broken Cisterns

Jeremiah 2:12-13
12 Be appalled at this, O heavens,
and shudder with great horror,”
declares the Lord.
13 “My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

I was thinking today as I was praying: what are my "broken cisterns," the things I place before Almighty God. There are some embarassingly trivial things which I am striving to get rid of with the help and power of the Holy Spirit. But, I began to think of the world itself, our earthly life, as the main cistern to abandon (2 Cor 5:14,15). Have I forsaken the world and am I living my life for Christ (John 12:25, 1 John 2:15)? Do I wake up in the morning striving to serve Jesus or running ragged to "succeed" here on earth? Sadly, it is often the latter. Why am I holding on to the broken cistern of worldly life? Why? It is a manifestation of unbelief to hold onto this world. O Lord help me surrender all to you. Not just the easy stuff. Help me surrender my life. Help me in my unbelief.

No comments: