Thursday, May 28, 2009

Scripture Memory

"The practice of scripture memory is more important than a daily quiet time, for as we fill our minds with great passages of the Bible and have them available for our meditation, quiet time takes over the entirety of our lives." --Dallas Willard, The Great Omission.

Scripture memory seems to increase my ability to practice the presence of God. In the circumstances of life, the Word I have committed to memory bubbles up from inside at the calling of the Spirit of God (Jn 14:26) to remind me of who He is and of my position in Christ. God tells us to memorize scripture (Josh 1:8), and knowing scripture is mandatory if we are to be obedient to Gods commands (Jn 14:21). God gives understanding of his Word over time if we look to his Spirit as the teacher of the it's meaning (Jn 14:26, Ps 119:18). I sometimes find quiet times difficult, and to me, it is reassuring to note that working on scripture memory during dry times can be profitable.

No comments: